[Mailman-Developers] Kernel update breaks Mailman!!

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Feb 20 20:39:20 CET 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 12:07 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I'm running Mailman 2.1.15 on a Ubuntu server, feeding into Courier MTA,
>running Python 2.7.3.  I track security updates and install them
>promptly when they're issued by Ubuntu.  Yesterday I updated the Linux
>kernel from 3.2.0-58-generic (x86_64) to 3.2.0-59-generic and Mailman
>quit working.  List posts made it through to the archives, and were
>apparently queued within Mailman, but wouldn't go out.  The mail server
>was working OK for non-list email. Today I backed out the kernel update
>and posts to lists sent yesterday and today are going out without
>problems.

I'm really quite surprised about this.  From the kernel version numbers, I'm
guessing you're running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?  I have my personal Mailman server
running on that OS, and just performed a kernel update.  I'm about to reboot
it into the new kernel, so I'll send a test message out and see if it works.
Very odd that a kernel update alone would cause the problem.  Can you send
mail normally (i.e. outside of Mailman) and connect to your port 25?  I guess
the one difference between our setups is that I use Postfix.