[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 ideas list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Feb 7 03:17:18 CET 2014

Hi, Máirín!  Good to see you here!

Máirín Duffy writes:

 > Do you know if Summer of Code students can do interaction design / UX
 > stuff? Because I'd be willing to mentor for that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "design".  Something like graphic design
via CSS alone doesn't fly.  It has to come with an implementation that
is aimed to be of high enough quality to be integrated.

If the project misses implementation quality by end of summer,
nobody's going to complain if we pass the student based on reasonable
effort and significant progress.  But what Google is paying for is the
time and effort spent on designing and writing code to implement
processes, not the UX design.

Eg, doing CSS work that makes a screen pretty and easy to hide
uninteresting information and changes simple text fields to more
structured widgets (eg for date input) is out.  Writing JavaScript
that sanity-checks user input is OK.

If what you mean is the kind of stuff that is involved in Postorius
and Shanu Salunke's "Mailman Interface" (a GSoC project for Systers
last year), yes, that passes muster.