[Mailman-Developers] Updating the template HTML and including CSS?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 6 19:59:19 CET 2014

On 02/06/2014 04:18 AM, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:

> I've also found an attempt to bring the markup up to date in this bug
> report with an attached patch from 4 years ago;
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/398030
>
> However, the patch is pretty large and incorporating it into the
> codebase would be non-trivial (plus it's certainly outdated), so I
> understand why it's been sitting there forgotten.
>
> I'd like to take up the task of reviewing the patch and create a branch
> where changes would be properly documented in commit logs, following the
> Mailman development guidelines, so that it could be easily merged into
> the main branch.
>
> I would only like to ask the Mailman devs if this would be a desirable
> goal, since it only makes sense for me to work on this if there's
> openness for this to be included in the main branch.

The main development focus for Mailman is Mailman
3/Postorius/Hyperkitty. Postorius is a totally new web UI for Mailman.

Mailman 2.1 is at the end of its life cycle, although I continue to
provide support, fix bugs and even implement new things.

The main obstacles to merging the branch you propose is i18n
considerations and impacts on existing users. I confess, I haven't
really looked at the patch at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/398030>, but if it can be
implemented with full i18n support and transparently to existing
users/lists, I would certainly consider merging it.

However, keep in mind that anything that works to extend the life of
Mailman 2.1 is contrary to our goal of getting everyone on Mailman 3 as
soon as possible.