[Mailman-Developers] Mailman keeps creating "var" directories

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Sat Dec 6 07:34:59 CET 2014

When I run “mailman info”, it creates a “var” directory in the current directory.

You can see in the following that I have mailman.cfg in my /etc

You can also see that /etc/mailman.cfg defines locations for the various directories.

You can see that prior to running mailman info there is no “var” directory, but there is afterwards.

I’m curious to understand why it is doing this when apparently mailman is picking up the configuration file OK from /etc but ignoring its contents and then setting up a new var directory in the current directory.  Any ideas welcome.

(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$ ls
blankontheme.zip  mailman  mailman.client  postorius  postorius_standalone  temp  venv2.7
(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$ grep _dir /etc/mailman.cfg
#var_dir: var
archive_dir              = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/archives
bin_dir                  = /home/ubuntu/venv2.7/bin
data_dir                 = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/data
etc_dir                  = /etc
ext_dir                  = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/ext
list_data_dir            = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/lists
lock_dir                 = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/locks
log_dir                  = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/logs
messages_dir             = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/messages
queue_dir                = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/queue
template_dir             = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var/templates
var_dir                  = /home/ubuntu/mailman/var
(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$ ls
blankontheme.zip  mailman  mailman.client  postorius  postorius_standalone  temp  venv2.7
(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$ mailman info
GNU Mailman 3.0.0b4+ (Carve Away The Stone)
Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
[GCC 4.8.2]
config file: /etc/mailman.cfg
db url: postgresql://mailman:password@localhost/mailman
devmode: DISABLED
REST root url: http://localhost:8001/3.0/
REST credentials: restadmin:restpass
(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$ ls
blankontheme.zip  mailman  mailman.client  postorius  postorius_standalone  temp  var  venv2.7
(venv2.7)ubuntu at server01:~$