[Mailman-Developers] About Mailman's unicode-enabled Message subclass

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Dec 2 02:29:18 CET 2014

On Dec 01, 2014, at 05:45 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>I'm really interested in any insight on this issue. Thanks for reading all
>that :-)

To be honest, mailman.email.message.Message should really go away.  It's a
terrible, and old, hack.  A few things *are* useful, such as pickle support
(required for the qfiles to work), and the convenience properties .sender and
.senders.  Of course, the convenience subclasses (e.g. UserNotification and
OwnerNotification) are helpful too, but in a different way.

This is yet another reason why I'd like to get the core on Python 3.  Then we
can ditch most of this hack of a subclass and rely on the behavior of the
Python 3 email package, which should DTRT.

Not sure that's helpful for your immediate problem though. ;)

Cheers,