[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 : Proposal for the Mailman CLI project

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 11:31:55 CEST 2014

Hi Rajeev,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Abhilash,
>
> I did not quite get the user role part.A command line utility runs on the
> server on which a software instance runs, just like a MySQL command line
> utility.You will need physical access to the system or atleast the shell.I
> believe you cannot expect every moderator of the list to have that kind of
> access. From my point of view, the tool will be used by the list owner or
> the server admin, just like the MySQL shell,which can be used only if you
> have access to system shell.However, User/Role management can be imposed by
> including a login for the shell,if necessary.Again,that's not possible for
> the command tools.

The working of mysql client and this project are very different. As Steve
pointed
a lot of things might be out of scope for your project but it would be nice
if you
could discuss about the complete working of it and at-least document it so
that
if not you, someone else can leverage this discussion and help improve your
project after you are done with it.

There is usually never a physical access to a server so that is out of
question
but still applications do exist with user roles, don't they? Even in mysql
you
have users. What if on a host I run mailman as 'maxking' and on the same
host 'rajeev' and 'steve' are two other users whom I have granted owner
roles(as
an admin) to two different lists do whatever the CLI will do. Who said only
one
person can have access to a host?