[Mailman-Developers] Author_is_list option in upcoming mailman 2.1.16

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 23 05:32:58 CEST 2013

On 09/22/2013 02:12 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> OTOH, maybe we won't know for sure until it gets *a lot* more testing.  But I
> think it's a mistake to say "well, we just have to force MUA developers to
> catch up".  As we've seen with something presumably as simple as
> reply-to-list, it (almost) never happens.

I think what we already know for sure is that people will continue to
use their favorite, brain dead MUA regardless of how well or how often
we point out the better choices. I think we have some limited influence,
but we are definitely not the 600 lb. gorilla in this jungle.

Because of that and because of the need for better real world data, I am
convinced that I need to release 2.1.16 final with the options of going
with simple From: munging (as in RC2) or encapsulation and a default of
neither.

To that end, I will work on getting it out as soon as I can and will
definitely describe the feature as experimental and subject to change in
future releases, but encourage people to try it and report so their
experience can influence future direction.

OT - I just registered for PyCon. I haven't been to Montreal since 1975.
I'm committed. I'm stoked!