[Mailman-Developers] Author_is_list option in upcoming mailman 2.1.16

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Sep 15 14:31:23 CEST 2013

Franck Martin writes:

 > I'm not sure if DKIM was ever meant to be exposed to the end user,
 > but the current trend is to try to protect the end user as much as
 > possible and this is done best by MTAs than MUAs.

I disagree fundamentally.  It's best done by *both* MTAs and MUAs.
Not all threats attack you from the outside, nor can MTAs stop
everything that comes at them without help.  That's why mail services
provide "spam folders" to quarantine suspect mail.

I agree that altogether too many MUA authors agree with you, so we
can't expect much good to happen if we try to do things that depend on
capable MUAs.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't lobby for better MUAs.
MUAs have the advantage of interacting with the user, and they can
take advantage of the user's knowledge and intuition.