[Mailman-Developers] Author_is_list option in upcoming mailman 2.1.16

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Sep 15 14:14:28 CEST 2013

Franck Martin writes:

 > When a list goes bad, usually the members are not blamed but the
 > list admin, therefore making the list the system responsible of the
 > writing of the message.

Please stop being evasive.  The RFC's use of "responsible" is intended
to point to the person who wanted the content of the message injected
into the email system.  You know that, I know that, and you're just
looking for an excuse to let your patch escape from its responsibility
for undermining the standards on which electronic mail is founded.

 > Anyhow, it does not matter, this is a religious discussion.

Religious maybe, but it does matter.  Open source lives and dies by
open standards.  Microsoft can (and does) get away with ignoring
standards if they think that will enable them to destroy the
competition by making non-Microsoft software inable to interoperate
with Microsoft's.  (Consider the number of complaints we get about
Outlook's brain-damaged handling of the "Sender" field.)

Let's *not* do it to ourselves *if we can avoid it*.  Maybe we can't
avoid it, but we really ought to try.

 > Please feel free to code and test your solution of encapsulating
 > the message in a mime rfc822. This seems an interesting and good
 > alternative. I'd like to see it in practice so we can compare data.

Without funding, I probably can't do it soon.  My GSoC student
Abhilash might be willing to do it after GSoC though.