[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Project Discussion

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri May 31 01:12:25 CEST 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 11:26 AM, varun sharma wrote:

>I think the owner or moderators also should be allowed to use the in vacation
>suspension of mails from the mailing lists they moderate or own, given all
>the administrative tasks that need their attention must be added to their
>ToDo queue.

One thing to keep in mind is what MM2 does today.  We really don't keep any
kind of to-do list for a specific moderator.  All we do is essentially keep a
list of all the moderation actions that are pending on a mailing list, and we
send this out to all the moderators every once in a while (e.g. once per day).

(Note too that we can send out immediate notification about new pending
requests.  These don't replace the daily notifications.)

In this view, if a moderator were to go on vacation, they would simply stop
getting the daily reminders.  Other moderators would still get them though.
Once the moderator's vacation stop expires, whatever pending tasks are still
outstanding will just get sent in the next daily notification.

(As an aside, MM3 should do a better job of recording which of the moderators
dispatches a particular pending task.  We can't do that in MM2 because we
don't really know - all the moderators essentially share a login.  But in MM3,
we can and will know, so we should record that fact in the log file, database,
and original message.)

-Barry