[Mailman-Developers] true virtual hosting patch for 2.1 on RHEL6

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 27 04:05:27 CEST 2013

On 05/26/2013 06:33 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone managed to get the mailman true virtual hosting patch for
2.1 working on Redhat Enterprise 6 as described at
https://wiki.koumbit.net/VirtualMailman?

I'm not sure how that compares to what I'm familiar with. I have a
branch at <https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost>  based on
the work of Hans Ulrich Niedermann and predecessors. (See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jIA9> and the post at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2006-March/018629.html>.)

Coincidently, this branch was just merged with the head of the 2.1 branch.

I do not use this branch. My disclaimer is "Please don't ask me to fix
all the problems with this branch. I don't guarantee that anything will
work. I ported the patches and fixed a few reported problems as a
service to those who wish to use it. I don't use it and am not
enthusiastic about maintaining it. If you use this branch and encounter
problems and report those problems to mailman-users at python.org, I may
fix them, but only if they are easy to fix." In general, I will try to
fix reported problems if the fixes are not too involved.

> I have to apply the patch manually as it the patch fails in a few
places, however once applied the patch doesn't seem to work as it did on
RHEL5. Mails are sent, but the list ends up being called
list-example.com at example.com, which will break the list for end users.

This is highly reminiscent of cPanel except their list names are
list_example.com at example.com and they accept mail to list at example.com
for list_example.com at example.com by (in their case) teaching the Exim
router about this convention.