[Mailman-Developers] OpenPGP Mailman integration discussion [was: Re: GSoc - Requirement from Mentor to complete the project]

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu May 9 19:36:35 CEST 2013

On 13-05-09 11:17 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I'm imagining a first phase ("message authentication") would not expect
> or handle encrypted messages, but would just use cryptographic
> signatures to verify the authenticity of origin of the incoming message,
> enhancing (and/or replacing) some of the current checks mailman uses to
> decide if a message should be passed on to the list.
>
> Then the second phase ("encrypted messages") would address the
> possibility of having encrypted message content.
>
> I'm not a mailman developer; but I'd be curious to hear what mailman
> devs think of this breakdown.

Nice timing!  This is *exactly* what a few of Mailman devs who are awake
were talking about on IRC an hour or two ago.  Re-organizing like this
would be a great way to make sure that openPGP as a GSoC project can
have a useful but smaller scale first goal, leaving full encryption as
more of a stretch goal, which might work better for the GSoC timeline.

  Terri