[Mailman-Developers] GSoC Project Discussion - Web Posting Interface.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 9 19:06:41 CEST 2013

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > On May 08, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
 >
 > >I agree with Steve. One of the advantages of Django is its "mix and match"
 > >capability.  Actually, I see two possible apps. One would integrate with
 > >HK. The other would be simpler, just providing a posting mechanism that
 > >provides authenticated message sender.

I'm not sure what you're proposing in terms of "integration".  The way
I see it, is HyperKitty or any other app could provide links which
could invoke the web posting app or the user's MUA.  The web posting
app would have an URL like

    http://list.example.com/HyperKitty/post/MSG_INIT_INFO

where MSG_INIT_INFO would have the same format as a mailto: URL.  So,
HyperKitty would be in a good position to generate References and so
on for any message in the archive, but other apps would be able to
generate their own special messages.  Eg, Roundup could put issue refs
in posting URLs it puts in issue pages.

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > The real power here would be for someone who is reading the
 > archives to "jump into" a discussion, potentially long after the
 > fact.  Imagine you've done a web search for a particular problem
 > you're having and it lands you on a page in an archive.  You want
 > to follow up to that message with some additional information or
 > question.  Reducing the burden for that type of intermittent
 > involvement in a topic should be the goal.

I think there's something to what you say, but it's not obvious to me
how much easier that would be than a mailto: URL.  I think basically
the use case is for people who want an integrated interface to the
list in their browser.