[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 and New Lists (Templates for Defining?)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Mar 6 21:54:55 CET 2013

On Mar 06, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> > IOW, if you changed a style after a list is created, the list
> > attributes do not change.  In fact, the mailing list doesn't record
> > what styles were applied to it.
>
>OTOH, would it really be that burdensome to keep styles in the
>database and allow styles to be updated with appropriate effects on
>the lists?  A style *change* that could be applied domain-wide (and
>DRY-ly!) without affecting other domains on that host would be a
>killer feature.  Or is there another way to accomplish that?

Ideally, I'd like things to work this way, but it's a lot of work to get from
here to there.  Some of the issues that will have to be worked out include:

 - Do those attributes still live in the `mailinglist` table or do they get
   split up into separate tables?

 - Do you handle individual attribute overrides, and if so how?  (e.g. I want
   an announce list, except with a higher max size because i'm using it to
   send audio files).

 - Do you handle one style or multiple styles per list, and if the latter, how
   do you handle application order and conflicts?

 - What happens when a style goes away, or new styles get added?  how do you
   change styles that are associated with a particular list?

 - How do you plumb style choices through to the command line and REST UIs,
   and how do you present these options on the admin web ui?

I think this could be an interesting GSoC project, but it might actually be
*too* big for summer students.  OTOH, if we work out a spec that answers some
of the questions above and defines the semantics, the actual implementation
work would probably be pretty interesting.

Cheers,
-Barry