[Mailman-Developers] Mailman search function (was?? Re: Like to participate in GSOC 2013 (GNU Mailman) - Like some ideas proposed in the list (Django, Python))

Chris Cargile follybeachris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 04:12:42 CEST 2013

I have observed the mailman development activities for a while but have not
chimed in recently.

My initial aim for contributing was to offer input as to the search
functionality feature request.

In as much as there is a lot to gain from the continual flow of ideas that
I feel are spawned by my watching and considering the list posts, I find at
times it is a little arduous of a task to get the fine details I seek on
specific matters such as the search features' progress (this is intended to
be as much as compliment as anything, I suppose) ...or that I am grateful
for a chance to suggest my technique to tackle this 'burden' of organizing.

Whereas, certain resources may lead one to dismissively settle on allowing
google site-crawlers to work, this technique doesn't work (I'm glad) for
many, and I'm not sure where things stand regarding search for mailman-
however, I found Ian
Hicks<http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/commit-watchers-whatwg.org/>'
approach (of applying the HT-Dig capabilities to enhance a MM v2.0 instance
interesting, but perhaps overkill and/or not quite right) but a good
case-in-point for ideas.

I resolved my need for making 'search' on my lists practically achievable
but in terms of overall integration into the fabric of mailman code, it is
insufficient.

If you want to see my search implementation, check out a prototype from me
on my AWS instance<http://ec2-54-224-162-128.compute-1.amazonaws.com/pipermail/mailman/>
.

Please share your thoughts here or directly to me ;)