[Mailman-Developers] A list of discussion topics: GSoC OpenPGP Integration

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jun 28 17:48:01 CEST 2013

On 06/28/2013 10:11 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Another complication is that keys will probably be attached to users, but
> users have relationships with list across the entire Mailman installation.  So
> if it were list owners that were responsible for key management, how does that
> cross list boundaries?  What about lists on the same system but in different
> domains?  Does the site admin have to delegate key management responsibilities
> to list owners?  I can imagine some kind of attack involving a list owner who
> approves a member's key for one list, and then using that to attack other
> lists on the same system.  Tricky business.

An OpenPGP certification of a key+userid just means that the certifier
believes that the key belongs to the person who has that user ID
(including the e-mail address). i think the best way to implement
stephen's suggestion is that in order to be able to post to a
signed-message-only list, a list member must have a key that has been
certified by the list's administrator.

Note that this does *not* mean that a non-list-member whose key has been
certified by the list's administrator can post. List membership and key
certification are orthogonal attributes; Both should be needed (plus a
valid signature on the message, of course!) before a message is passed
on to such a list.

	--dkg