[Mailman-Developers] Wiki Migration Update

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jun 17 18:57:23 CEST 2013

On Monday 17 June 2013 18:22:55 Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Every page (I think) in the wiki has three URLs.
>
> E.g.
> 1. <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions>
> 2. <http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3604482>
> 3. <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3>
>
> I gather that in the migration to Moin, the pages will have names/URLs
> like 1. but with spaces instead of pluses. This is fine, and if
> necessary a mapping from old to new URLs can be easily constructed.

I had imagined that browsers will convert to spaces in form 1, anyway, given
that "+" is traditionally the encoding for a space, but it appears that
Firefox may be encoding "+" and presenting the encoded URL to the server.
Thus, the following fails:

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions

Maybe some kind of rewrite rule could be used, or I could generate alias pages
which redirect to the real pages.

> Form 2. is trickier. Confluence seems to use somewhat arbitrarily either
> 1. or 2. in internal links, so form 2. is sometimes seen in list posts
> referring to FAQ articles.

The page/version identifiers are used by the converter, and they even appear
in the raw text of the Moin pages as a "pragma", but we'd probably extract
all these correspondences and deploy some kind of mapping resource that takes
an identifier and performs a redirect to the appropriate Moin page.

> Form 3. is what Confluence calls "Tiny Link: (useful for email)" and is
> available in the pages 'info' and (along with form 1.) in the "Link to
> this Page" Tool dialog. I use this all the time in list posts referring
> to FAQ articles.
>
> I don't know what info is available in the Confluence dump, but it would
> be nice to have at least the 'tiny link' and maybe the pageId info so
> that mappings and maybe eventually redirections can be constructed to
> get from the old URLs to the new pages.
>
> As I said, I don't think it's a show stopper, but it would be helpful.

I'm not sure these tiny links are in the Confluence dump, but if there's an
algorithm to generate them, then maybe we can provide a similar mapping
resource.

> Regarding the article numbers appearing in section 4 only: in the
> FAQWizard, all the articles were numbered. When Teri converted the
> FAQWizard, she dropped the numbers from the page titles. This proved
> controversial and Duncan Drury added them back, but only in section 4.

The history of such matters is always interesting. :-)

Paul