[Mailman-Developers] true virtual hosting patch for 2.1 on RHEL6

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sat Jun 1 15:08:14 CEST 2013

On 29 May 2013, at 1:50 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Actually, that patch is not what's required. The comment is wrong.
> @hostname is required for all vhosts lists regardless of the host name
> in the URL or the setting of VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW.
>
> A correct patch is attached.

I will give this a try and confirm.

> As for the patch below, I see what you're trying to do, but I'm nervous
> about untended consequences of creating lists in domains not in
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS. I think the patch should be OK, but as I say, I'm nervous
> about it.
>
> I will definitely commit the attached patch, and I'll think about the
> other. Do you have any motivation for it other than just not wanting to
> bother with adding add_virtualhost() to mm_cfg.py?

For me it causes a number of showstoppers, the first is that we can't automate the creation of the mailing lists in our environment, where running a command is easy but editing a shared system config file is hard. Over and above that we are forced to host the sites on separate virtual hosts, which in turn requires multiple digital certificates for us instead of just one. It also adds significant complexity to our environment, instead of keeping life simple for us.

I chose the VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW flag because it was already there and it seemed a sensible alignment, but I could change it to add an additional flag to control this.

Regards,
Graham