[Mailman-Developers] Wiki Migration Update

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jul 26 23:25:12 CEST 2013

On Jul 26, 2013, at 02:05 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> I can tell you though that my motivation to garden the current wiki is
>> pretty low, and I think I'd be more motivated to clean it up after the Moin
>> migration.  If the other wiki editors feel the same way, then we should
>> seize the opportunity to get the migration started.
>
>+1

That's encouraging! :)

I think the general plan is to host the wiki on the python.org
infrastructure.  They're already hosting the Python and Jython wikis and Noah
seemed amenable to the idea at the last Pycon.

If there are no objections, I'll reach out to the infrastructure team to see
what they'd need.  I'll have to contact John and Matt to do any required DNS
changes.  I think the rough task list would be:

* Get python.org to assign us an IP address
* Map wiki-new.list.org to that IP
* Freeze all edits on wiki.list.org
* Have Paul do one more migration that he's happy with
* Get pdo to install that on wiki-new
* Test, test, test
* Move the DNS for wiki.list.org to the new IP
* Decommission the Confluence instance

>I think we can do alright with a switch. I support a Moin wiki for my
>bike club, and I think we'll be OK. I have a bit to add below.

Would you and/or Paul want shell access to the new Moin instance?  I don't
know if that's possible, but if you do, I'd make that part of my request to
infrastructure.

>There is an issue on my own Moin wiki in that people who are logged in
>but not members of any group can create and edit pages which don't have
>ACLs. At one point I was discovered by wiki spammers. I 'fixed' that by
>using Moin's textcha facility to effectively require a password to
>create an account. It could be solved more readily by not giving 'Known'
>users default (or any) write access.

Is that possible?  I think we'd definitely want to do that.  Also, I guess
'unknown' users would also not have any write access, correct?

>> I guess we won't be able to use tiny urls after the migration though, right?
>
>I think that's right, and it's unfortunate, but I can live with it (or
>implement a tiny url feature for Moin).

Yay for open source! :)  I love the tiny urls.  I think it would make a great
addition to Moin in general.

>I think after the fact, at least for the home page stuff, is fine.

Cool.