[Mailman-Developers] GSoC Progress Report - Authenticated REST API

Manish Gill mgill25 at outlook.com
Thu Jul 25 13:36:23 CEST 2013

Apologies about the encrypted message before.

Hello,

I've been documenting my progress weekly at my blog [1]. I'll give an
overview of the work done.

So far, me and Richard have created a new Django app mm-rest [2], which
is the base of the new REST API, modified Postorius to use the app's
models, which will communicate with MM-Core to get the data and expose
it via Django-Rest-Framework.

The approach we have been taking is to have mm-rest mirror the models
exposed by the MM-Core alongside adding any of its own modifications.
This makes it easy to integrate Django and any extensions/libraries for
the API models. This also lets mm-rest handle the
primary User model and any authentication/authorization that goes along
with it.

The design choices have been outlined in this [3] document.

Postorius code has also been modified [4] to use these models instead of
MM-client. This lets Postorius do its essential jobs even if there is no
available connection to the Core.

The issue that we have been working on right now is syncing. Changes b/w
the Local mm-rest database and core database need to be properly synced.
The data in mm-rest essentially acts like a cache for the core, so there
needs to be proper integration how long that data is there for
(expiration time etc), and how do we handle situations where the core
database is modified without any knowledge to the local one.

That's about it for now.

[1] http://manishgill.blogspot.in/
[2] https://launchpad.net/mm-rest
[3]