[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3.0 todo list

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jul 16 00:52:27 CEST 2013

On Jul 15, 2013, at 01:21 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>The only thing I can think of offhand for core is Exim support.
>(Sendmail support, I suppose, but nobody I know uses Sendmail, and I
>can't do it.  Exim on the other hand is on my personal list.)

I'd very much love to have Exim and Sendmail support.  If you're an expert in
one of those MTAs, please help us by contributing code and documentation for
integrating them.  Based on the Postfix integration, I suspect it will be
mostly documentation and integration with alias creation.

Integration is LMTP from MTA->MM3 and SMTP from MM3->MTA so I think there's
probably little or nothing that has to happen at that level, except document
how to set up your MTA to work properly.  The most complicated part of the
Postfix integration is making sure the aliases are set up correct so that when
new mailing lists are added to MM3, the MTA recognizes them.  That may require
a bit of code, but I think the APIs are well documented.

I'd also like to see better PostgreSQL and or MySQL-family integration.
SQLite is the default, and we have PostgreSQL support already, although a few
tests fail with PG.  I would welcome PG fixes, and additional support for any
database that Storm supports.  (Note that at some point we may ditch Storm for
SQLAlchemy, but I don't think that will majorly affect the set of FLOSS
supported databases).

-Barry