[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 12 04:56:41 CEST 2013

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > On Jul 11, 2013, at 03:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > >This is somewhat problematic.  DMARC results are potentially
 > >trivalent.  If action is "reject" and pct is less than 100, some hits
 > >are "rejects" and some are "quarantine".  Misses are misses.  So I
 > >guess you do this with a chain of two rules, the first one verifying
 > >the message and if that hits (ie, verification fails) the second one
 > >rolls the dice for pct.
 >
 > While ugly, that might be the best we can do for now.

Verbose, yes.  Is it really ugly, though?  I don't know how much you
were directly influenced by iptables and SIEVE, but the idea of rule
chains as a way to very flexibly configure filters has been
implemented many times.  The model is very simple and completely
flexible.

 > Instead it would jump to a custom (terminal) chain that made the
 > more specific determination of whether to reject or hold the
 > message.

This is pretty much what I was suggesting.

 > >Silent discards without content analysis make me queasy.
 >
 > Of course, we'd likely log and fire an event, so at least it wouldn't happen
 > completely silently.

No, but it might be many days before the originator gets around to
asking why their message hasn't appeared.

 > Yep.  There is some limited ability to do additional checking at LMTP time,
 > but this isn't pluggable currently.

Does LMTP provide the necessary ability to reject?

Steve