[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Franck Martin franck at peachymango.org
Wed Jul 10 11:01:28 CEST 2013

On Jul 9, 2013, at 8:15 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> On Jul 02, 2013, at 12:44 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>
>> Before we take out to write code, I would like to ask mailman-developers how
>> it should be done to fit best into Mailman's architecture. Here are the DMARC
>> features that should go into Mailman 3:
>>

> For #1 you would have a rule that can answer the question of DMARC
> disposition.  Rules output binary results, and if this rule hits, it would run
> an action, probably to discard the message, although it could also hold it or
> reject/bounce it.  I doubt you'd want to accept the message.  If the rule
> misses then processing continues along as normal.

Good idea, to held the message for approval. It is harder to know what you don't know... Holding the message for approval would give a chance for the list admin to guide the subscriber.

> Munging the From header is done by a processing handler, after the message has
> already been accepted for posting, and is being prepared for delivery to the
> list membership.  Similarly, the Authentication-Results rewrite would be done
> in the same or a different handler.  With respect to both headers, I'm
> assuming that the munging is the same for every recipient; there's a different
> hook point for personalization of outgoing messages.

I thought about munging the From Header on a sender basis (if it has a DMARC policy) but that makes the list oscillating between two states therefore making life difficult for the recipient (rules to sort messages).