[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jul 10 05:19:12 CEST 2013

On Jul 06, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

>I'm all for experimentation and being adaptive as new things come along,
>and I'm obviously supportive of the DMARC effort.  That said, I hope that
>these are going to be configurable options, defaulted "off" for backward
>compatibility.  This is because:

Current MM3 doesn't have a great way to expose plugin configuration options to
the REST API, which is what a web ui would access to control this stuff.  I've
thought about it a lot, so I think I know how I'd do it, but there's details
to be worked out and code to be written around this.

>(a) the second bullet above is a significant departure from current use (as
>I understand it), and fails the test of least surprise if we were going to
>suddenly see that MM3 does things quite differently than previous versions
>or, indeed, other packages; and

Mailman has support for anonymous lists, which can rewrite the From header to
substitute the mailing list's posting address for the original author's
address.  I frankly don't know how much that feature is used in MM2.1, if at
all.