[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 9 03:39:14 CEST 2013

Franck Martin writes:

 > This is speculation,

I said so myself.  The fact that I'm paranoid just means I've read
Bellovin and Cheswick.

 > and broad fear of the future...

No, it's an extrapolation of my own occasional experience, and the
frequent pain of others that I see on this list, and the observed
behavior of sysadmins, some of whom I respect but who are under
extreme pressure to stop spam, and others who are less competent.
It's a very specific fear of a broken standard that may be imposed on
us by powerful third parties.

It's possible that mailing lists as we know them today are an
anachronism, that they themselves are fundamentally broken in a world
where spam constitutes 90% of all email traffic, and we should let
them go rest in peace.  I can accept that.  There may be no solution
that allows both existing mailing list customs to continue and
provides socially acceptable levels of spam prevention.  If so, so be
it.

 > >  > I hope this helps alleviate concerns.
 > >
 > You should really read the code of the patch for MM2 and try it.

I don't need to when you suggest violating basic RFCs to make DMARC
work better.  Sometimes it's appropriate to "take ownership of From".
DMARC is not a valid reason to do so, and I'm not going to try that.

And what good does trying a patch do?  I fear a *social* problem, not
that your patch will make Mailman technically unable to receive or
send mail.  If the latter happens, we debug the patch.  Minor
irritation, no more than that.