[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 8 19:49:06 CEST 2013

On 07/08/2013 08:34 AM, Franck Martin wrote:

> I suspect this process has been improved in MM3, but I have not had a look at the code. The purpose is for mailman to recognize 5.7.x bounces and not count them against the recipient (or as soft bounce). Hard bounce is the default for any non recognized bounce.

MM3 uses flufl.bounce <https://launchpad.net/flufl.bounce> for bounce
processing. The process, algorithms and heuristics are essentially
identical to MM2.1

In the case of an RFC 3464 compliant DSN, MM does not look at the Status
field at all. It only looks at the Action field. Actions beginning with
'fail' result in a 'permanent failure' determination. Actions beginning
with 'delayed' result in a 'temporary failure' determination. All other
actions result in the bounce being ignored.