[Mailman-Developers] background on maintaining the documentation (was RE: Mailman-Developers Digest, Vol 286, Issue 9)

Chris Cargile follybeachris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:33:48 CET 2013

thanks guys - that helps me get going with things..like documentation
probably should, huh? :)

>If there is any functionality that you are wondering about, by all means
>provide a link to an example of its usage and I'll try and give an opinion
on
>whether it will be easily supported or not. Generally, the border between
>Wiki and CMS territory is vague (a Wiki is a form of CMS, after all) and it
>can be quite straightforward to add functionality regarded as CMS-specific
>Moin.
>Paul

the Moin system will get us away from the Atlassian licensing hassle AND
would tie in great for enabling a new website for the MM3 release, - it
would be cool, IMO, if we got to explore the RSS feature's (
http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinSyndication) working since we could generate
recent changes outputting onto a feed, and from there, either give the RSS
page some nice CSS or display the feed on the new site main-page if it was
being served up separately from the moin system.  I also checked using the
w3c validator and moin outputs its pages in valid-xhtml mark-up so that's
good for accessibility, which seems like a good goal for Mailman too,
seeing as its role is a communications medium

so +++1 for the moin cms transfer (/RSS?) - I don't have much familiarity
with moin blogspaces, but it'll work fine I bet

>>So I interpret your question as being whether the documentation on the
Wiki is
>>just a snapshot of some documentation maintained elsewhere or whether the
>>work is being done on the Wiki itself.

The documentation is maintained to some level in Atlassian, pythonhosted.org,
and the bzr repos (, other places?) per package, so Terri explained that
Atlassian is the main location for how-to's, admin guides, and GSOC stuff.
Otherwise, for simplicity, the packages have docs and doctests, in the
individual package themselves

on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:38 Terri Oda wrote:
> At minimum, I think it is important to get confirmation whether the
> confluence snapshot (wiki.list.org) is just a snapshot and we can direct
> our efforts at updating the documentation there? also, on that note, what
> would be the sphinx documentation role in all this and/or how necessary is
> it to understand that system?

>>You can, in the case of errors, also submit
>>merge requests to fix the documentation in the source tree.  At some
>>point, I imagine Paul will tell us the migration is ready to go and
>>we'll freeze the wiki, but for now go ahead and edit there.

Would the merges accepted propogate document changes to the package repos
or are we referring to a merge against a documents-repo that is somewhere I
don't know of.  I'm still confused on where the sphinx documentation plays
into it (is that maybe like building javadocs only, instead it does so for
python, maybe)

r/Chris