[Mailman-Developers] Some Doubts for GSoC Project

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Aug 21 18:42:32 CEST 2013

On 08/19/2013 10:52 PM, Stephen 'Humble is my middle name' Turnbull wrote:
> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>  > If I read the correct response from Steve, I don't think he was
>  > adamant about it.  He basically said that he associates keys more
>  > with people than bots, but OTOH, -owner isn't really a person.  I
>  > don't think using -owner is what folks would normally expect, so I
>  > think the posting address makes the most sense.
>
> I agree now.  The point made in an earlier post is that in most cases
> people will use their keyrings to store keys, and addresses are the
> most stable way among human-readable key specifiers to access the
> keyring.  Eg, suppose you're replying to me; my display name in this
> message won't help you find my key unless your MUA's parser is *very*
> "sophisticated" (ie, makes dangerous guesses).

fwiw, i also agree with the earlier commenters that the list's e-mail
address is the appropriate address for the list key's User ID.  that's
what's used in every schleuder list that i've ever seen as well, fwiw.

In some future iteration, you may also want to bind
foo-request at example.net as an additional user ID (to the same key,
probably), but i don't think that will be relevant for this iteration.

> [1]  Lars "larsi" Ingebrittsen is the main developer of the Gnus MUA
> for Emacs, known for implementing features first (the IETF thanks
> you) and for much-too-clever code.

larsi is also the mad genius responsible for most of gmane.org, for
which many of us are very grateful :)

	--dkg