[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at dataplex.net
Sat Apr 27 15:34:42 CEST 2013

On Apr 27, 2013, at 8:19 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Richard Wackerbarth writes:
>
>>> "ABCDEFG" is what?  The list?
>>
>> Yes. But note that it is some pk provided by the list store.
>
> "pk" ?

Primary Key == An identifier of the server's choice that identifies a unique instance of the specified resource.
It is important to note that the client CANNOT rely on any particular scheme for mapping other keys to this identifier.

>>> Why have you changed the order of components here?
>>
>> Because I don't know the pk for the list. I wish to look it up.
>
> So "attribute/posting_address/test_list at example.com" is a query that
> means "give me a way to indicate this list"?

Yes

> These URIs are pretty ugly.  Surely we can do better?

Perhaps we can. But we need to conform to the HAL framework style.

As I understand it, the consumer understands the semantics of various links, but the actual links are "discovered" as a part of previous queries and not "constructed".  As such, the links depend more on the ease of implementation rather than their "beauty".

Perhaps Xu has experience and can enlighten us.