[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at dataplex.net
Sat Apr 27 13:03:10 CEST 2013

On Apr 27, 2013, at 2:42 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Richard Wackerbarth writes:
>
>> https://server.example.com/mailman/list/ABCDEFG/attribute/join_address
>> returns the email address to which subscription requests should be
>> sent.
>
> "ABCDEFG" is what?  The list?

Yes. But note that it is some pk provided by the list store. It may not have any recognizable relationship to other characteristics of the list ( such as a "common name" or FQDN )

> I think the short prefix /mailman/ should be reserved for traditional
> and anonymous requests.  /mailman/rest_api/ or some such for the
> REST API.

I don't disagree. I would reserve /.well_known/mailman/ as an access point that delivers the "root" of the REST API tree and, otherwise, make no assumption about the location of it in URI space.

>> https://server.example.com/mailman/list/ABCDEFG/attributes
>
> This is what you mean by self-documenting?

No. This is an access point for the document. If fetched as JSON or XML, it would be machine parseable. If fetched as HTML/text, it would be human readable.

>  Presumably it returns not only the attribute names, but their ranges (types) and docstrings?
>
>> https://server.example.com/mailman/attribute/posting_address/test_list@example.com would return the URI representing the list
>
> Why have you changed the order of components here?

Because I don't know the pk for the list. I wish to look it up.

>> https://server.example.com/mailman/attribute/posting_address/test_list@example.com/attribute/join_address might return test_list-join at example.com
>
> Huh?  This isn't a syntax error?

Probably is syntactically incorrect. The email address would need to be URL escaped.