[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Project idea: OpenPGP integration

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Apr 27 07:36:58 CEST 2013

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > OTOH, maybe that's all security theater.  If the Mailman system's
 > private key is available to an attacker, then having the encrypted
 > message on disk temporarily is probably not going to stop them from
 > decrypting it.

It's worse than that.  The attacker doesn't need the key, he just
needs to be able to suborn the Mailman process.

There is a scenario where the attacker might want access to the key
itself, and that's if he wants to use it somewhere else for some
reason (ie, to spoof that Mailman server).  But I think the primary
scenario is that the attacker just wants access to list traffic, and
for that the ability to install a "rule" or "handler" is sufficient in
the current architecture.

I think we should assume that the Mailman host is secure[1], and worry
about how Mailman itself provides an attack surface.

Footnotes:
[1]  I know that that assumption is incorrect.  Nevertheless, I don't
see what Mailman can do about it without a complete redesign starting
from the assumption of encrypted messages whose plain text must
be exposed as briefly as possible.