[Mailman-Developers] anti-spam filter

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Thu Apr 18 21:40:07 CEST 2013

* Pratik Sarkar <iampratiksarkar at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
>            Is the anti-spam/abuse filter still being seriously considered
>  as a gsoc project this year?

I - personal opinion - think adding a anti-spam/abuse filter is a good idea. I
do however stronly oppose against a hardcoded implemenation that e.g.
integrates SpamAssassin only or a new Bayesian filter.

Why? (Please don't take this personal...)

Reinvention
  I think it is a waste of time to reinvent (Bayes) something that has been
  there for many years.

Proprietary implementation
  I also think it is no good service to those who will also want to expand
  Mailmans capabilities to do a product specific implementation instead of
  building a generic interface.

I think, if Mailman should become able to filter spam and viruses, we should
use a standardized interface (e.g. MILTER, SMTP/LMTP transport) that allows
_any_ kind of mail filter to be hooked into the receiving process.

Then anyone would be able to add their secret sauce when it comes to process
email.

This way the (new) Bayesian filter, which has been suggested on the list,
could interface with Mailman too.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG