[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at DATAPLEX.NET
Thu Apr 18 15:14:45 CEST 2013

Whoa! Perhaps I don't understand oAuth. I thought that oAuth (and persona, kerberos, etc.) were protocols whereby one system (the provider) furnishes credentials for a second system (the client) to some third system (the consumer).

By configuration, the consumer trusts that the provider has verified the client's identity and furnished appropriate credentials.
Thus, when the client presents credentials in an interaction with the consumer, the consumer provides services on the basis of the credentials.

If we assume that we distribute the MM implementation to include more than the two (core and web UI) systems by having, for example, a user manager, there might be an argument for passing around such credentials.

However, the design that has been followed thus far does not have the client communicating directly with the consumer system. Instead, the web UI interacts as an agent for the client. In this model, we have implicitly trusted the agent to properly represent the client and also screen client requests in accordance with system policy. Thus, although we need some level of authentication of the agent, there is no need for third party credentials such as those implemented in oAuth.

A connection on "localhost" is a form of credential. Trusting that the OS design restricts access to the connection, and trusting the applications running on that host provides a level of identification and trust.

There is no reason why alternate channels cannot be substituted as long as a means of identification (such as shared secrets) is utilized.
In those cases, the security of the communication channel and the trustworthiness of the agent system need to be considered. However, in a logical sense, the interaction is the same as one using the localhost channel.