[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2013 - GNU Mailman - Introduction and Project Discussion

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Apr 11 21:52:44 CEST 2013

On 13-04-11 10:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> 1.  Mailman is the wrong place to do filtering.  It's equally
>      effective, normally covers more messages, and is somewhat more
>      efficient in resource usage to do it at the MTA.
> 2.  Any new algorithms*should*  be made available at the MTA level
>      where they can be best put to use by more people.  This implies
>      something that either plugs into existing filters (such as
>      spamassassin) or MTAs (ie, milters) rather than a Handler.
> 3.  Adapting existing filters is generally pretty trivial: you write a
>      10-line custom Handler that pipes it to an external process.  This
>      isn't big enough for a GSoC project.
> 4.  To the extent that new algorithms are involved, I have doubts that
>      Mailman mentors have the kind of expertise needed to really help
>      with such a project (I could be wrong, but I certainly don't know
>      much about that kind of text processing, and I don't know that
>      anybody else in Mailman has expertise in it).

Writing individual pipelines may be trivial, but making a user interface
for managing said pipelines is non-trivial.  Right now, our pipeline
management interface is "there's a text box in postorius that lets you
choose a pipeline.  It's not even a dropdown, and you may be screwed if
you make a typo" which is obviously not how I want it when we release. ;)

I see a potential project timeline going something like this:

A. make a set of custom Mailman 3 Handlers for some well-known existing
anti-spam/anti-malware software.  (Maybe 2-3 weeks of work here, finding
2-4 reasonable pieces of software, setting them up, writing the
handlers, and testing them)

B. make an interface in Postorius so list admins can
enable/disable/reorder these and any whitelisting happening within
mailman.  This should involve making an interface in Postorius that
gives admins the ability to change the Pipeline being used, and will
likely involve a small amount of user testing to make sure said
interface doesn't have risk of disastrous results if the administrator
does the wrong thing.  (Another 3-4 weeks of work including user
testing, unit tests, and documentation)

C. Figure out how to set up some sort of packager that can install
handlers + antispam software so that the site admin has an easy way to
set these up if requested. (Another 3-4 weeks of work, including testing
any scripts on a few different OSes and extensive documentation)

D. If there's any time leftover, implement some clever new filter (and
appropriate Handler) that makes use of the list information itself (e.g.
subscriber list, archives, etc.) to make better spam decisions. (at this
point, you've got maybe 2 weeks left in the GSoC timeline)

I think that constitutes enough useful-to-mailman work to justify the
google funds, gets us some customizable spam filtering (which as you
say, is a frequently requested feature), but doesn't turn us into
something we're not.  That's why anti-spam made this year's gsoc list
even though we've always said "do it in the MTA" and I'm not about to
change that policy in general.

Do feel free to disagree with me, of course, Stephen. Or complain that
I'm using the lure of antispam to get someone solve my user interface
for pipelines problem, which I totally am. ;)

  Terri