[Mailman-Developers] OpenPGP Integration on GSoC

Thu Apr 11 14:35:17 CEST 2013

On 4/11/13 3:23 AM, Stefan Schlott wrote:
> On 11.04.2013 06:19, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
>
>> I am Joost van Baal-Ilić.  I create a PGP keypair with ID Barry Warsaw.  I sent
>> the public key to the list server.  I sent a mail, signed with the Barry-key,
>> encrtypted to the listkey, with From: Barry's email address, to the list.
>> The listserver now distributes it to the lists subscribers, yes? The list
>> subscribers will believe the message is from Barry.
> You would have to do some key confirmation, just like you have to click
> a mail confirmation link upon subscription.
>
> Next problem: Mailman will have to decrypt the message and re-encrypt it
> for each recipient. This also strips the signature of the original
> sender. How do you show to the recipients that the original message was
> signed (in a way which cannot be forged by any other sender)?
>

> Generally speaking PGP support would be great, the efforts Joost and I
> made about 10 years ago never made it beyond alpha (or beta at best)
> stadium...
>

> Stefan.

Decrypting and re-encrypting shouldn't break signatures as the sender
should First sign the unencrypted message, and then encrypt it. The
signature can then be passed on in the re-encrypted message, and people
can do their verification of the signature. It is up to each recipient
to decide how well they trust the identity of the sender. Digital keys
do NOT naturally verify the identity of the sender, the verify that the
sender is a possessor of the signing key, and it is the web of trust on
the key management side that connects that with an individual identity.

Also, re-encrypting to each recipient isn't as big of a job as it might
seem, as actually what happens is a session key is made, and this is
used to encrypt the message, the the session key is encrypted with the
recipients public-key, so only this last piece needs to be done per
recipient. You probably need to send copies individually, or every
message will have information about who is subscribed to the list.

--
Richard Damon