[Mailman-Developers] Like to participate in GSOC 2013 (GNU Mailman) - Like some ideas proposed in the list (Django, Python)

Chris Cargile follybeachris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 15:57:53 CEST 2013

A while back, I proposed contributing to MM3 in the area of archive
searching and MM2 backwards -compatibility and am considering further,
still:

Some research I wanted to share is: When navigating some Apache projects, I
discovered many are hosted on one of four platforms [per
here<http://apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html>]
but since we welcome the idea of ideas and frown at lock-in, what if we
could invite/reach out to administrators who've chosen apache lists to use
(on mod_mbox approach) <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/> to
consider MM3 as a replacement solution?  This would allow us to grow the
base of users by attracting an audience potentially with the resources to
provide some nice observations,contributions to MM3's project I'd guess,
maybe?

MM3 marketing/capture strategies to rest - to return to researching MM3
alternatives, I evaluate Apache's alternatives as:
- mail-archive.com, markmail (good but kinda proprietary, right?);
- marc (monolithic?);
- and Apache's mod_mbox (GSOC project - 2005)

To expand more, maybe it is required for apache projects to host/use
mod_mbox and others, but I am wondering, then, is mail-archive.com really
the likely system of choice used in *lots* projects due to
searchable-archives function?  Can I say 'yay' for up-voting (again) the
search function and express a personal appeal towards the ideas @ GSOC
ideas (#1,#2 <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Google+Summer+of+Code+2013>)

I'm quite glad the activity is continuing here!
Chris