[Mailman-Developers] Like to participate in GSOC 2013 (GNU Mailman) - Like some ideas proposed in the list (Django, Python)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Apr 4 20:38:12 CEST 2013

Hi Surya!

On 04/01/2013 09:00 AM, Surya Kasturi wrote:
> I have gone through the proposed ideas
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Google+Summer+of+Code+2013 and found some
> of them to be interesting..
>
> 1. RSS and NNTP access to mailman services
> 2. Authentication of REST API in Postorius/Django
> 3. Fully Anonymization
> 4. Currently the above, but even looking in other possibilities

All of these are things we have need of.  If the conversations at PyCon
were anything to go by, I think more people are excited by #1, but it is
perfectly reasonable if you simply choose whichever one of these appeals
to you most.

> My skills are in Python, Django little HTML, CSS.
> Frankly, I don't grade myself to be "expert" but I am in "just -
> intermediate" stage, where people are not afraid of taking new challenges,
> roles.

No worries -- we don't have any tasks this year that I would say require
an expert, and all of them should be good for getting you more practice
in a skill.

Have you had a chance to set up a Mailman 3 development server and play
around yet?  With your experience with django, you could easily handle
some of the bugs in postorius to get some practice working with our code
base.

  Terri