[Mailman-Developers] error while setting up mailman on ubuntu please reply

Florian Fuchs flo.fuchs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 23:42:36 CEST 2013

Hi Ashesh,

it looks like installation of one of the dependencies is failing, but it's
a little hard to say which one and why (at least to me).
Maybe there's a buildout expert on the list who has seen this kind of
traceback before and can provide help right away...

If not, could you provide us with a little more information:

- The revision number your mailman branch is at (type "bzr log -l1")
- Your default Python version (type: "python --version")
- If we're lucky, the tempfile that failed to be executed still
exisits ('/tmp/tmpu69D_h',
see the second to last line of your traceback) -- maybe you can post the
contents of that file to some paster service and send the link. If it isn't
there any more (most definitely after a reboot), you could run bin/buildout
again and use the new file name from the bottom of the traceback.

Another idea: Have you tried installing mailman inside a virtualenv?
Also: It looks like you're running the installation as root. It should work
without root privileges.

One last thing: We're currently working on simplifying those complicated
installation instructions (aka "create non-homicidal install docs" ;). So
don't give up now!

Cheers,
Florian