[Mailman-Developers] Unforeseen difficulties with the Mailman logo

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Wed Sep 26 11:57:05 CEST 2012

Terri Oda writes:

 > I don't suppose anyone here has some hidden graphics-fu and could help
 > me out?  the buttons have a 1.375in printable area,

I'm no graphics expert, but at that size, I'd avoid gradients unless
you've got at least 1200dpi, preferably 2400dpi resolution.

You could try offsetting the origin by a fraction of a pixel.

What graphics program are you using?  Maybe you could try a different
one.  The button-sized originals look fine in Firefox on a Mac.

You also might have better luck rendering to a bitmap at high
resolution (ie, size), and then dithering down to scale.

I actually don't think the photo looks that bad, except that I can't
read the "GNU", and having the logo bleed off the face of the button
would work better if the postmark effect were clearer.  But postmarks
tend to be partial anyway, so maybe it would be OK if you shrink the
logo a bit.