[Mailman-Developers] Working on Postorius

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Sep 4 17:01:51 CEST 2012

On Sep 02, 2012, at 02:23 PM, Ethan Fremen wrote:

>OK, I finally got postorius running.

Excellent!

>I had to make a few small changes to postorius_standalone to get it
>working, and I would like to add instructions to the 5 minute guide for
>getting things set up with Virtualenv so you don't have to install all this
>stuff in system locations.

+1

>I don't have rights to edit/comment on the 5-minute-guide page, and I am
>not sure how I should deal with commit changes I make...

Our workflow for both the core and Postorius, is to submit merge proposals via
Launchpad.  So basically, you use bzr to create your own local branch, hack on
that, pushing it to Launchpad periodically.  Then you submit a merge proposal
to ask that your code be merged into trunk.  Someone with write permission to
the trunk will review the code, provide feedback, and/or commit the merge if
it looks good.

You will definitely want to keep your working branches small and tightly
focused.  Say, one branch per bug fix or new feature.  The smaller the branch,
the easier it is to review.  Once your branch is merged, don't reuse it for
the next feature or bug.

This all happens with the beauty of a dvcs like bzr and a nice hosting site
like Launchpad.  Of course, there are lots of similar sites and tools, but we
use bzr and Launchpad.

http://help.launchpad.net has lots of useful hints for using this kind of
workflow, but of course, feel free to ask questions here or on #mailman.

Cheers,