[Mailman-Developers] HyperKitty login

Florian Fuchs f at state-of-mind.de
Thu May 31 22:31:23 CEST 2012

Hi Aamir,

On 05/30/2012 01:45 AM, Aamir Khan wrote:
 > Hi everybody!
 >
 > First task I am going to do for my GSoC project is to have login
 > authentication mechanism for HyperKitty users. I have had discussion
 > with few mailman developers about it. I am planning to wrap up
 > social_auth into mm_ui_auth django application. Both postorius and
 > HyperKitty can use this app for authenticating users.

As you know, Postorius already uses django-social-auth. Implementing it
was more or less a configuration issue (settings.py), plus we had to
build a login-template (which was pretty trivial).

We did look at some other existing solutions before choosing
django-social-auth. So far it seems like a good choice. (Although it
should be noted, that there was one report about a browserID logged-in
user getting logged-out erroneously. But I haven't been able to
reproduce this.)

Since social-auth has been designed with DRY/re-usability in mind, the
important question (at least to me) is: What are the advantages of an
mm_ui_auth app wrapper compared to simply using it directly?

The main advantage I can think of is shared UI-resources (template,
css). But this reduces mm_ui_auth more or less to a "theme only" app
(OK, with a few lines of login/logout view code in it). This can make
absolute sense, but mainly if both Postorius/HK are OK with sharing the
same design for the login-/out pages. I, for one, would be fine with
that. (Well, let's see how it looks first. But still... ;-)

Cheers,

Florian