[Mailman-Developers] HyperKitty login

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 30 06:37:46 CEST 2012

Aamir Khan writes:
 > Hi everybody!
 >
 > First task I am going to do for my GSoC project is to have login
 > authentication mechanism for HyperKitty users. I have had discussion with
 > few mailman developers about it. I am planning to wrap up social_auth into
 > mm_ui_auth django application. Both postorius and HyperKitty can use this
 > app for authenticating users.

Please explain in somewhat more detail.  Not all of us know what
"social_auth" is, and since Postorius and HyperKitty are independent
apps, presumably there will need to be some design and coordination
effort to get everybody on the same page.

In the spirit of "DRY" (don't repeat yourself), rather than make long
posts here, I suggest that you start a blog or a Wiki page on the
Mailman site where you can log (1) your design decisions and (2) any
agreements on APIs etc you make with other Mailman developers (or
third parties such as maintainers of libraries you use).  Then you can
simply have a shortcut key and say

"I've designed an authentication mechanism for HyperKitty users, which
I expect to be extensible for use by Postorius and other Django apps
for Mailman.  See my blog: http://blogs.example.com/~aamir/gsoc/."

George is doing this quite well IMO.  Kudos to George!

N.B. George is generally copying his blog post to this list.  That's
OK if you want to do it, but IMO not necessary.  (But that's something
we will evolve over time, and I defer to Terri's opinion on this kind
of thing.  This is all just a suggestion.)