[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2012] Metrics

Richard Wackerbarth richard at NFSNet.org
Sat May 19 14:34:50 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> George Chatzisofroniou writes:
>> Hello Patrick,
>>
>> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter
>>> Like with most statistical data I mostly see the figures being
>>> used to give statements on quantity - top poster, number of
>>> threads etc. Do you think it would be possible to also make some
>>> statements on quality?
>
> +1
>
> For example, I think this would be really useful for class discussion
> lists and the like (on the theory that the best way to learn a subject
> is to teach it to others).
>
>> The metrics will primarily extract the activity of a mailing list
>> and its users.
>>
>> It is possible to emphasize on the quality of the posts but i think
>> this is a different app
>
> I don't see why.  I would think quality metrics would be usefully
> presented via the same application as quantity metrics.  It would be
> interesting to correlate quality and quantity, for example.
>
> Do you mean to say "this is out of scope of my project?"  As much as
> I'd like to see quality metrics provided, I'd have to agree with you
> that it's out of scope of your project (maybe you could do one or more
> quality metrics on a time-permitting basis at the end of the period).

I agree that he should think in terms of having additional "quality-based" metrics and presentations.
This ties directly into some of the things that the "hyperkitty" guys are doing.
We need to develop a single approach to the collection, storage, and display of this information.
However, other than considering how the "hooks" would work, I think that this is beyond the scope of this phase of development. Implementation should be considered to be part of a different "contract".

Richard