[Mailman-Developers] administrative mail subject lines

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 14 01:51:33 CEST 2012

Stanislaw Findeisen wrote:

>I am running a list. available_languages is set to English (USA) and
>Polish, and it looks that subject lines of list subscription request
>(those that I need to approve) e-mails are in those 2 languages. Perhaps
>this depends on the language the subscribing user has selected. The body
>is English every time.

The body is in the list's preferred language. I believe this is as it
should be. If subscription is via the web, the subject is in the
user's selected language. I think this is a bug. I think it should be
in the list's preferred language.

>Moreover, those Polish subject lines are distorted. It looks that they
>contain some Unicode/whatever but are not encoded at all; and the mail
>header contains:

The Content-Type and Content-Transfer-Encoding headers refer to the
message body which in this case is English and US-ASCII so they are
correct.

If any message header (e.g. Subject:) contains non-ascii, it must be
RFC2047 encoded (or possibly in the case of parameters, RFC 2231
encoded). It seems we are not doing this, so this is also a bug.

Thanks for reporting.