[Mailman-Developers] need tutorial for setting up python development environment on Ubuntu please

David dave at fiteyes.com
Fri May 4 03:20:45 CEST 2012

After a full day of stuff like this:
error: Installed distribution zope.interface 3.6.1 conflicts with
requirement zope.interface>=3.8.0
... I need a good tutorial on setting up the development environment,
including whatever related tools are needed, to build and install Mailman
3.0. Google hasn't turned up anything very helpful yet. I appreciate any
recommendations.

I keep running across recommendations like this:

It could be a Setuptools bug, or an incomplete installation of
> Setuptools/Distribute.

Hence, I feel the need to start with a clean slate and a really good
tutorial on setting up the development environment in Ubuntu 12.04.

BTW, is Python 3 recommended for Mailman 3? I'm using 2.7 atm. I plan to
use just one version of Python to keep it simple. I see a bunch of stuff on
virtualenv, but if it is simpler to not user virtualenv and to just have
one version of Python installed, I'll go that direction.

Also, in case it is of interest, a lot (but not all) of my problems seem to
center around PYTHONPATH. I probably don't have it right yet. And the
following step is where I'm stuck:

setup.py install --prefix=$YOUR_PREFERENCE".

Previously I ran `bin/buildout` and `bin/test -vv` with this result:
Total: 383 tests, 0 failures, 0 errors in 40.273 seconds.