[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 29 16:46:20 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> Mailman 3 itself requires unique Message-IDs.

So?  FWIW, I don't think I agree with that requirement (even RFC 5322
doesn't make it a "MUST"), but I'm not going to argue with you about
Mailman 3 design, that's your pidgin.  But there's nothing
particularly Mailman-3-dependent about archiver web UIs, though.  I
don't see any reason why the front end shouldn't be used on my several
gigs of personal archives going back to about 1980, eg, or as a poor
man's webmail.

> IIRC, the Mail Archive guys
> found a very very low collision rate over millions of messages, and I think
> all such cases were basically spam.

Sure, but XEmacs archives go back to at least 1994.  mailarchive.com
is a more recent phenomenon.  In the early days of Linux/*BSD
diffusion, there were lots of buggy MUAs/very simple MTAs out there.

>>hash ID, and YY... are the remaining ones).  But it could easily be backed by
>>an IMAP store or something more specialized; we don't really care as long as
>>it's object-ID-addressable.
>
> Don't forget too that the LMTP runner automatically adds the X-Message-ID-Hash
> header, which is a Base32 encoding of the SHA1 hash of the Message-ID contents
> (without the angle brackets).  This hash could be used as well.

It doesn't do that for subobject content IDs, and more important,
users don't necessarily have the X-Message-ID-Hash (they may have
not-metoo set, they may have gotten the message as a direct Cc).
True, it's easy enough to compute -- if you're a Mailman 3 developer
and know it's present.<wink/>  And, of course, why have a Mailman 3
dependency that is absolutely unnecessary?