[Mailman-Developers] GSoC

Florian Fuchs f at state-of-mind.de
Thu Mar 29 16:03:07 CEST 2012

Am 29.03.12 03:49, schrieb Stephen J. Turnbull:
> To be honest, I don't see how it would be related to Postorius, except
> perhaps as some sort of plug-in (but we don't have a plug-in
> architecture for Postorius, yet).  Adding such features to Postorius
> would be bloat, IMO.  I also worry about the performance hit; I think
> it should probably maintain its own database, etc for the data-mining
> end, and sparingly access the REST client API to update profiles.

It could go into a separate application, but preferably one that could
be hooked into by Postorius. Django already has some kind of
plugin-architecture. It's generally pretty easy to "plug" different apps
together if they follow some simple guidelines for re-usability
(postorius is already using django.contrib.auth and django-social-auth
for instance).

Also, Django allows using multiple databases (even different db-types)
within the same project, so there would be no need to use one database
for everything. (Of course if your db needs are more exotic or beyond
the SQL realm, you're not obliged to use Django's ORM at all.)

Without strongly suggesting any architecture here: I think the relation
to Postorius would be that it currently takes care of authentication and
already holds some user information. So displaying this kind of extended
information within postorius only seemed natural. No matter where this
data is generated from.

I'm not advocating to bloat Postorius, but to use Django. :-)

>> Yes, those would all be very interesting pieces of data.
>
> To stalkers and Tom Clancy's favorite folks, as well as to nicer
> people.  Make sure there are opt-outs for users.

We talked about that at the PyCon sprint a little. If Postorius displays
more detailed user information the privacy defaults should be pretty
strict. Rather an opt-in than an opt-out. And possibly even more
fine-grained, something like: "Show this piece of information only to:
me - other list members - everyone"... or similar.

Florian