[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 20:51:03 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 03:01:41PM +0530, Shayan Md wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
>     Is this integration to be done with mailman2 or mailman3?
>
>     In mailman3, the archivers are separated from the mailman core.
>
> I was working on mm3. But systers' indexer/searcher was implemented for
> mailman2. So it must be easy for to integrate it with mm2.
>
> Looks like archiver for mm3 is still in development stage. As far as I
> understand searcher depends on the srchiver, right? Not completely but it
> somewhat depends on archiver. I am not sure if searcher can be implemented
> without archiver. If possible I can implement for mm3 also.

The searcher wouldn't be much use without an archiver. There is a sample
archiver in mailman core -- if enabled, it stores the messages to lists in
maildirs.  It does not have a frontend for retrieving or otherwise
displaying the archives.

In some of the other threads here, it was brought up that a builtin archiver
with the same feature set of pipermail could be desirable.  If you're
interested in integrating search into mailman I'd watch (and participate!)
in that thread to see what the outcome of that discussion is.

-Toshio