[Mailman-Developers] Killing off Pipermail and the effects on scrubbing in Mailman 3

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:39:17 CET 2012

On 03/19/2012 09:14 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Thanks to all for the advice. I have some learning to do.
>
> I actually have VirtualBox installed and for the sprint I had a
> Vagrant VM set up running the basic
> http://files.vagrantup.com/lucid32.box. I had set up a virtualenv on
> this box with Sphinx installed for the Sphinx tutorial at PyCon, and
> this worked really well.
>
> When I got to the Mailman sprint, I tried to install MM 3 on this
> Vagrant VM, and I ran into some error with buildout trying to compile
> some package and failing with a missing Python.h file.
>
> I ran 'sudo apt-get install python-dev' on the VM which I thought
> would fix it, and the install seemed to run OK, but I still had no
> Python.h.
>
> At that point, I gave up and went to a virtualenv on my production server.
>
> At this point, I don't know whether the best approach is look for a
> more complete development box for Vagrant or figure out how to
> provision the basic Vagrant box with what I need or forget Vagrant and
> install directly in VirtualBox or go with a dual-boot.
>
> Anyway, it's going to be interesting to figure this out.

Well but why using Vagrant?
Vagrant is great to create VMS for automatic testing, but if you want to
create your own
VM with all your things that you need I don't see how it can help, just
install a normal
Ubuntu/whatever on Virtualbox and you're fine..

And another possible advice is to always copy the errors you get, also
because most of the times
you can get the answer you want simply by a quick google search ;)