[Mailman-Developers] Killing off Pipermail and the effects on scrubbing in Mailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Mar 17 18:05:00 CET 2012

On Mar 16, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>There are two things going on. There is content filtering, i.e.,
>removal from the message of parts with unwanted MIME types or filename
>extensions. These parts are simply removed by pipeline/mime_delete.py
>(which probably needs some changes ported from 2.1, aargh...).

Yeah, that's embarrassing ;).  I've started down the road of adding unittests
for the code in that module.  You'll see the start of that land momentarily.

>Then there is what pipeline/scrubber.py does with the remaining
>message which is remove those message parts which can't be rendered
>well in a flat, text/plain message and store them aside and replace
>them by links in the message. The part we can't do in MM 3 is
>calculate a URL to display/download them.

Yep.

>> The easiest thing to do, and what I will probably do in my
>> 'death-to-pipermail' branch is to simply scrub out the unwanted
>> parts *after* a copy of the message is sent to the archive queue,
>> but *before* the message is sent to the digest, usenet, and
>> outgoing queues.
>
>I'm not sure about the *before* with respect to usenet and digest and
>certainly outgoing. Currently in 2.1, we don't scrub (as opposed to
>content filter) non-digest deliveries unless scrub_nondigest is Yes.
>We maybe should just drop that option.
>
>We also don't scrub messages for the MIME digest.
>
>I also don't think we scrub messages destined for usenet. I think we
>let usenet worry about that in the same way we propose to let whatever
>archiver is configured worry about it.
>
>I don't see a need to handle these differently in MM 3.

ISTM that essence of the scrubber is to turn any remaining text/html parts
into plain text, by various means.  I think the MM2 scrubber.py module is
essentially hopeless, but the basic functionality is useful.  I've decided to
remove the scrubber in the Pipermail-eradication branch, which will also land
momentarily.  I think it would be useful though to rewrite the scrubber, boil
it down to its essential functionality, and add that to the appropriate spot
in the pipeline.

How would you like to take a crack at that?

>> For now, I'm going to try to implement sending an unscrubbed copy
>> of the message to the archivers and just throwing up our hands for
>> the copy of the message sent to the list members.  The nice
>> side-effect of this is that it makes the scrubber *way* simpler!
>
>Perhaps we could keep the scrubber as is except for modifying it to
>not store scrubbed parts and put some kind of apology in the message
>rather than the link to the no longer stored content.
>
>Then my lp:~msapiro/mailman/scrubber-fix branch would still be relevant ;)

Yeah, sorry about that. ;)  I think scrubber.py was just too nasty to
salvage.  Something much simpler would still be useful though.

Cheers,
- -Barry